Calcium is widely known as one of the most essential minerals to keep your health staying strong and healthy. The absorption of calcium is extremely important for improving teeth and bone health, as well as strengthening weak legs. Calcium aids in controlling nerve and muscle function, as well as regulating the acid balance (pH) in your blood.
Your body is loaded with more calcium than another mineral; it occupies nearly 99% in the bone as well as teeth. The other 1% is contained in the muscle, other body tissues, and fluid.
You should note that the lack of calcium can lead to some serious health diseases. Once calcium is not taken enough, your bones might get weak, brittle, or even soft. If remained untreated, calcium deprivation can result in osteoporosis or rickets. Memory loss, depression, muscle spams or numbness in various parts of the body such as the hands and feet are also triggered by calcium deficiency. To help fix the calcium deprivation in the body, it is necessary to make some changes in your daily diets and current lifestyle habits.
1. Consume more foods rich in calcium.
There is a wide variety of good foods high in calcium that you can feel free to opt for. Some of these foods are composed of:
Dairy products such as cheese and yogurt
Soybeans or another soy products
Non-fat milk or skim milk
Dark leafy greens like kale, spinach, and collard greens
Rice milk, almond milk, soy milk, orange juice or breakfast cereals are some other well-known examples of calcium-fortified foods.
2. Get enough Vitamin D.
Vitamin D plays a critical role in raising the absorption of calcium levels in your body. Parents should bear in mind that once vitamin D is not provided enough, children are more prone to contracting rickets. One of the most natural ways to increase the intake of Vitamin D is to spend several minutes under the sun per day; strictly monitor this, though, since excessive exposure to sunlight can lead to skin cancer. Also, you had better avoid direct sunlight between the mid-morning and early afternoon hours; do remember to put on skin protection when going out during those times.
Another good way to get enough Vitamin D is consuming Vitamin D-rich foods. Eating some fortified dairy products or drinking fortified milk is highly recommended. You can opt for other vitamins and nutrients that help raise the calcium intake consisting of boron, magnesium, and Vitamin K. Before using any supplement, try to consult your doctors to ask for proper dosages.
3. Give up drinking soda.
Drinking soda can pause your process of absorbing calcium; therefore, it is better to stay away from this drink. An excessive consumption of soda beverages can trigger a sudden raise in the phosphate levels present in your blood. High levels of phosphates prevent calcium consumption. Also, if you drink alcohol, keep it at a moderate amount as well.
4. Avoid excessive caffeine.
There is no doubt that lots of people choose to start their day by drinking a cup of coffee, but, when suffering from calcium deprivation, you are not allowed to drink more coffee. Caffeine present in coffee can leach calcium from bones, thereby depleting their strength. If you cannot quit coffee, then drinking less than 2 cups of coffee per day suffices. To help minimize the effect of caffeine, you can include some milk into your coffee. Drinking green tea or any other herbal teas are good alternatives.
5. Reduce high consumption of sodium.
Sodium intake can make the body use calcium, which is zapped from the bones. All you need to do is to add spices or herbs to flavor your food instead of including salt. At the same time, you should strive to avoid processed foods, since they can also include high amounts of sodium.